Monday, March 22, 2010

爺爺祝你生日快樂 (Grandpa wishes you a Happy Birthday)

I had an image of a card, a birthday card with traditional Chinese hand-writing. The card read "Grandpa wishes you a Happy Birthday".

xxx

When I was little, I loved playing with grandpa. Grandpa looked very much like Santa. He had a big belly and wore thick glasses. Grandpa was like the father I never had. He was always very big. All the grandchild liked to gather around grandpa to listen to his stories. He would tell us about stories of his during World War II and some of the legendary ancient stories.

Grandpa did not live with us, but he would come to visit us every Sunday night. Therefore, every week we would free our time to expect grandpa. I guess grandpa had good eyesight. It was not easy for a 70-year-old to drive at night. I remembered how we used to send grandpa off. We would wave to grandpa until his car was out of sight. Grandpa would always wave back to us with one hand on the steering wheel. Some of the times, I would ran out the main gate and see grandpa's car vanished as he turned right at the junction.

I guess I could never do that anymore. Grandpa was dead 10 years ago. He was gone before I knew how to be concern about him. I have not buy anything for him with the money I have earned. I have not said thank you to him for bringing me and my family together.

Grandpa has a very kind heart. He would not harm any insect. Every time when we were trying to hurt an insect, he would stop us. He would tell us that it might be our ancestors who came to pay us a visit. I guessed it worked, we didn't harm them.

I remember grandpa in so many ways. I always think that grandpa had the biggest hand in the family and I liked to play 點蟲蟲 with him. I would put my little hand in grandpa's palm and sang, “點蟲蟲,蟲蟲飛!” As I stopped singing, I would move my hand out of grandpa's palm as soon as I can, but grandpa was always faster. He would grab my little hand in time. We laughed and giggled all the time.

Just like Santa, grandpa gave us present during Christmas! Mainly it's because my sister's and my birthday falls 2-3 days after Christmas. Therefore, every grandchild in the family shared our birthday. *chuckles* The wishes inside the birthday card was written by grandpa himself. I was so proud of him!

I miss my grandpa a lot. My grandpa was a fantastic person and he will always be remembered (not only during Ching Ming).

4 comments:

Yuan said...

I like this post!! And i also have something similar to post soon.. The cards from grandpa makes me feel so touched!

Jane Kong said...

Really? I thought I am the only one who is so sentimental. Yes, it was really very touching...

Xweing said...

That's so sweet....... I'm sure he loves u a lot too...

is the cards real??

Jane Kong said...

Yes, my grandpa loves me a lot. The card is real. He didn't made the card himself, but he wrote the wishes himself. ^__^